When you think of household chores, you would probably list down sweeping and mopping the floor, dusting, vacuuming, washing the dishes, washing and ironing clothes, and cooking. These household chores include those we physically see inside the house. What about those buried underground? Or those right behind the walls? What about your pipes? Do you clean out your drain, or does this sound new to you? Well, welcome to reality. Keeping your house healthy includes everything that you cannot see as well. If you do not know how to clean drains, read on, as we’ll talk more about it.
Importance of Cleaning Out Drain
Well-maintained or clean drains mean keeping the internal organs of your house healthy. All wastewater from your home goes down the drain. If you do not regularly clean the drains, water and everything else that goes down can build up and become stagnant. When your plumbing system couldn’t breathe in anymore, it can cause the following:
- Water may leak into the walls. Thus walls become stained or, worse, weak.
- Mold can grow in between your walls. Mold is harmful to your house and your health.
- Risk of flooding during a thunderstorm. When the pipes are clogged, where else will the water go?
When you regularly clean out your drain, you are preventing leakage from your sewage system. As you may have known, a leak in the sewage system is no joke and no easy task. Aside from the stinky smell it brings, it poses health risks for the whole household.
Why Do Drains Become Blocked?
If you think of everything that goes down the drain, you could probably understand why it can get clogged when there is no regular maintenance. Yes, your shampoo, soap, toothpaste, bits of left-over food, oil, grease, and what you flushed in the toilet are the culprits. When there is no regular cleaning, these can buildup over time and can eventually cause blockage.
What Can You Get from Cleaning Out Drain Regularly?
- Your sink drains water faster. Who would want a clogged sink that bothers you when you wash your hands or when you take a bath? When you regularly clean your drains, it guarantees faster drainage of water.
- There would be no foul odor. Whenever you clean out the drain, you are removing the smells that could fill your house.
- You can check the status of your pipes with regular cleaning. Especially when you hire a reliable plumbing company, you can see red flags and immediately prevent damage.
- It can save you a lot of money. Prevention costs less than providing a solution to a damaged pipe.
Drain Cleaning Tips and Tricks
- Do not use harsh chemicals. A homemade drain cleaner is way better than using those harsh chemicals. Why? Chemicals can unclog, but they can cause harm to your pipeline. If a leak occurs, it can release chemicals into the air in your home. Not healthy at all.
- When cleaning, baking soda with vinegar, followed by hot water, does the trick. It also helps prevent foul odors. As an alternative, the combination of baking soda and salt also helps!
- Boiling water poured down the drain helps loosen the blockage inside the kitchen sink. This technique is the most straightforward step and can be your first move whenever clogs appear somewhere. This is just a reminder, though, not to use this when your drain is attached to PVC pipes as it can melt down the plastic.
Some Preventive Measures
- Get drain screens and place them in your kitchen sink and bathroom. It works wonders in preventing soap, food particles, and hair from going down the drain.
- Never pour down oil or grease in the drain.
- Be mindful of what you throw in your toilet. Do not flush tissues, sanitary pads, and the like.
Essentially, cleaning out the drain is an essential chore. Add this to your To-Do List so you can keep your house clean, inside and out.
Whom do you call when drain problems get out of hand? It’s time to call the professionals.
We at A Better Plumber and Sewer Co. provide the highest quality of service in getting those stubborn clogs out of your drain. We have been in business for a decade and have serviced hundreds of satisfied customers. We use the latest technology right from assessing your plumbing system to the actual removal of clogs. We offer our service at an affordable price and never overcharge! Our team is composed of highly skilled individuals with sufficient knowledge in doing what needs to get done. We have the best drain cleaners in town! All of them are worthy of your trust, and our service is worth your money. Should you need a reliable plumber in Littleton, CO, do not hesitate to contact us!